Welcome to Garfield Early Years. We endeavour to inspire a life-long love of learning in children by encouraging them to develop their confidence and curiosity through a nurturing and stimulating environment. We provide the children with a play based curriculum which we base around topics to excite and engage them in their learning. The children will be provided with play-based and child-initiated activities as well as more formal methods of learning and adult-led group work.
There are three prime areas of learning which are vitally important and underpin all future learning;
- Communication and Language
- Physical Development
- Personal, Social and Emotional Development
There are also four specific areas of learning;
- Understanding the World
- Expressive Arts and Design
We pride ourselves on our open and clear communication with parents. We set aside time to have a home visit with every child before they start in our foundation stage to get to know our children and their families. We offer regular stay and play sessions throughout the year, and encourage communication from home through learning leaves and learning hands. If you ever have any queries or questions for the class teachers, please book an appointment via the office.
Please have a look at these helpful documents, which will help you support your child’s learning:
- Nursery Curriculum Map 2021-2022
- Reception Curriculum Map 2021-2022
- EYFS Curriculum Booklet 2021-2022
Read Write Inc. Phonics is part of a highly successful literacy programme developed by Ruth Miskin and published by Oxford University Press. It provides a structured and systematic approach to teaching literacy, weaving decoding, comprehension, writing and spelling together seamlessly, and is used by more than a quarter of the UK's primary schools. Read Write Inc is designed to create fluent readers, confident speakers and willing writers.
The Read Write Inc. programme is carefully matched to the higher expectations of the new curriculum. It uses effective and rigorous assessment, tracking and one to one tutoring to accelerate every child's progress, preparing our children for the National Curriculum tests.
Training and support from Ruth Miskin Training, rated Outstanding by the Department of Education, ensure the programme has the best chance of success in schools.
For further information and great video tutorials on how to support your child with learning to read go to: https://ruthmiskin.com/en/find-out-more/parents/
These useful guides will help you support your child at home with their early reading and writing.
- Fred talk games
- Handwriting phrases for letter formation
- Reading top ten tips
- Learning to read and write at Garfield
In Nursery all children
- Learn the first 30 sounds in short daily sessions.
In Reception and Year 1…
- Read storybooks and non-fiction books closely matched to their developing phonic knowledge
- Take home Phonics storybooks to share
- Read with fluency and expression
- Learn to spell using known sounds
- Write confidently by practising what they want to write out loud first
- Work well with a partner
By the end of the Autumn Term in Year 2 all children…
- Are accurate and speedy readers and are ready to move on.